The Feminist Campaign School is seeking a researcher for a contract position to fulfil a grant from Women and Gender Equality Canada. Reporting directly to the Research Lead, this position will focus on identifying reasons why women and gender minorities elected to local government positions (Mayor, Council, School Board, Parks Board) choose not to re-offer as candidates for office and to propose solutions for improved retention. Will work on a team with Research Lead and Research Assistant.
Grant is from November 1, 2021 to December 2023
Estimate 10-20 hours per week of work (to fluctuate) from November 2021 to May 2023
Rate of $40 per hour
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Undertake a literature review on gender issues that impact representation at local government
- Assist with creating a survey that will be issued to local government elected officials in BC and Alberta
- Send out surveys to local elected officials and follow up to ensure the survey is completed (is there something about distributing and following up with people to get results?
- Interview municipal elected officials
- Analyze survey and interview results
- Write research reports and memoranda summarizing findings
- Undertake other research and administrative tasks as may be required
- Assist with workshops, conferences, lectures and publications
- Strong understanding and analysis of gender issues, anti-oppression, patriarchy, white supremacy, and colonialism
- Strong understanding of local government
- Research experience including survey design and implementation
- Excellent analytical skills
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Alignment with values of Feminist Campaign School
Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to the attention of Nadine Nakagawa at email@example.com. We thank all candidates for their interest and regret that only those candidates who are shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
CLOSING DATE: October 22. Estimated start date: November 15
We strive to provide opportunities for individuals who have been historically excluded from positions of power. If this applies to you, please identify yourself as such on the cover letter.
For more information about the Feminist Campaign School: FeministCampaignSchool.ca